Bear with me here guys.....

From: Michael Clark (mclark@wt.net)
Date: Thu Aug 14 1997 - 23:07:37 EDT

I'll be starting on the headers tommorrow or Saturday but I have a few
questions... Keep in mind I've never done anything like this before and
I'm not a real "gear head"....

In the instructions it states to use some hi-temp silicone sealer on the
exhaust gaskets. I picked up some Permatex Ultra Copper Gasket Maker,
is this what I need. The directions indicate that this stuff makes a
gasket by itself, do I need something else like Gasket Sealer instead of
Gasket Maker or is it the same thing? Also do I put it on the gaskets
or on the metal surfaces where the gaskets seal?

Second question, Sam or someone with DT's can help with maybe... The
headers come with the bolts, flat washers, and star washers. Is there a
particular order to put the washers like starwasher under the bolt head,
and flatwasher under the nut? Or vice-versa? The directions don't say.

Third question is do I need a clamp or anything where the crossover pipe
slips into the passenger side y-pipe? Again the instructions don't say
anything about that, but it's kinda a loose fit and its bound to
leak....

What is the best way to remove the carbon deposits off the heads where
the stock manifolds used to be? The directions say left over carbon
deposits cause most eshaust leaks....

I'm just trying to get every little detail figured out before I start.
I just hope I don't have to loosen the motor mounts and shift the engine
any, it says this is a possibility in the instructions. I see now why
Sam had some clearance probs. with the stearing shaft, looks like it
will be close on mine also....keeping my fingers crossed on this one...

Other than that everything looks pretty simple. Time consuming, but
simple.....

Thanks guys...

--
Michael Clark            mike@snakebite.com