Re: Bear with me here guys.....

From: Michael Clark (mclark@wt.net)
Date: Fri Aug 15 1997 - 15:47:47 EDT

LJacobs wrote:

> Installing Headers:
>
> Don't use gasket maker, use something like the spray-on copper sealer.
> This stuff comes in a can and (like spray paint) is easy to apply.
> I (personally) have never had to use any thing other than the gasket itself
> (no sealers), how 'bout the rest of you guys/gals ?
>
> Order of header bolts and washers:
> | | O *
> ----|
> [head] [exhauset header] [flat washer] [star washer] [bolt]
> the flat washer keeps the star washer (or better - lock washer) from
> gouging out header material.
>
> Lee Jacobs *************
> JacobsL@Sembilan.UCHSC.Edu
> 96 SLT CC V-8 4x4 5spd K&Nfipk (pre-FABM) with all the options.

Thanks Lee. Well for those on the list that don't know, I've already
started the installation process. Been at it all night, morning, and
this afternoon. Now it's 10 hours into the install and I *FINALLLY*
have all the stock stuff off. Literally. The problem was the Y pipe.
It would NOT let go of the cat pipe. I had to cut the Ypipe at the O2
sensor, unbolt the WHOLE exhaust system and slide it out the back. All
one piece, cat, flowmaster, and dual pipes and tips... I will get some
pics of this... Then had a muffler shop get the leftover out of the cat
pipe.... whew!... Time for a break now.

All that's left is to assemble a new tranny dipstick tube assembly, fit
the thorleys on, re-insert my exhaust system and pray that everything
wants to line up.... I should be finished by next week... :-)

You know its a MAJOR operation and a royal pain, but I'm actually having
a blast. Dang near burned up a dremel cutting the y-pipe off, no good
tools just little stuff like that. That's why it took 7 hours to cut it
off....<LOL>!!! I think i need to sleep now....

--
Michael Clark            mike@snakebite.com
     '93 Mark III 4X2 V-8 SWB RC auto