Towing and such

From: Sam Parthemer (samp@cts.com)
Date: Sun Aug 17 1997 - 13:26:46 EDT

----------
> From: Dick Campagna <campagna@nothinbut.net>
> To: dakota@ait.fredonia.edu
> Subject: Re: Finally got my headers
> Date: Sunday, August 17, 1997 10:20 AM
>
> I test-drove a '97 Dak V8/5-spd yesterday and first gear was so "low"
that
> it would be impractical to start out in first unless you're on a hill,
> really loaded, or pulling a load. I don't know what rear it had, but I
> will order a 3.90 rear in my '98. With your 3.55 rear, do you ordinarily
> start out in first? Or is your first gear real low, too?

        I have 3.90 gearing, and 5 speed on my '95 club cab dakota (slt).
If you had a 4.10 rearend (not available OEM) then you could start out
in 2nd gear, and not worry about putting wear/tear on your clutch. With my
setup I can start in 2nd, but only if I am barely moving. From a dead
stop,
1st is the way to go. Yes, you'll be shifting to 2nd in 2 seconds, but
that's
the way it is. When pulling a load from a dead stop, it will get you going
with much less fan-fair than a ford/chevy pulling the same load with a
5 spd.

        1st works great too, when in traffic... you can idle through 1st
and not sit on the brake, nor on the gas... Just above idle seems to be
perfect for the bumper-bumper stuff we get here in San Diego.

        Towing is nice, as you have a wider selection of gears to pull
on hills, and you can put your foot into it and not worry about an unwanted
downshift that an automatic will bring. I pull my friend's 4500# boat (jet
boat,
low profile--not too much wind resistance), and on the climb through our
local mountains, I can get some serious pulling speed in 4th gear (and
keep my foot planted, and make the grade--with my previous automatic
dakota, it would downshift from 3rd (D) to 2nd in a heartbeat, and make
the quick upshift back to 3rd, then 2nd...etc..)

        Drive an auto, then a 5 speed.. You'll probably like the 5 speed better
(since you've driven one already, and you are comfortable with a 5 speed to
begin with).

        Sam '95 SLT