Re: Shift Kits

From: Chris Ruggiers (ruggiers@telepath.com)
Date: Wed Aug 20 1997 - 15:17:53 EDT

kmiller wrote:

> For what it is worth, the feel of second was enough to convince me.
> IF YOU
> WANT TO PLAY, YOU HAVE TO PAY!!!
>
> ----------
> > From: Randy E. Bowman <r.bowman@cvce.com>
> > To: 'dakota@ait.fredonia.edu'
> > Subject: Shift Kits
> > Date: Wednesday, August 20, 1997 12:26 PM
> >
> > I talked to my newfound mopar mechanic (previously worked for cc)
> now has
>
> > own shop, i talked to him about sure grip, shift kits, etc.
> >
> > He has a 92 Dak 4x4 v8: He recently did the sure grip install and
> will
> > probably do mine, said it took about 6 hours to get it just right
> and
> > recommended a new bolt kit as well as putting new bearings at that
> time,
> > but he did not recommend the shift kit saying that the clutches,
> bands,
> > etc. cant handle it (too weak) that the tranny life would be very
> much
> > shortened. Just wanted some other opinions on this. I hate the
> stock
> > shift and would like to fix, but dont want to hurt the tranny life
> in the
>
> > process.
> >
> > opinions????????

I don't know anything about shortened tranny life --- I'm not even brave
enough to do my own tranny filter change. But my '91 LE CC V8 auto has
gotten second gear scratch on the stock Goodyear 215-75/15's (now on
third set) since day one, and all I've done is gone to gippy lube every
30k for a fluid/filter change.

Chris
1991 LE CC Non-Magnum V8
K&N (and wanting more!)