Re: New member...

From: Dick Campagna (campagna@nothinbut.net)
Date: Fri Aug 22 1997 - 16:06:06 EDT

Advice I've seen on extended warrantees: "Buy one if you're purchasing a
vehicle that has a reputation for not being reliable. But then again, why
would you buy a vehicle that has this reputation?" My sister bought a
Honda Civic, which is well known for its reliability (mine has 220,000
miles on it). When their *back-end* guy tried to hard-sell the extended
warranty to her, she gave them the above argument, asking "Are you telling
me the Honda I'm buying for its reliability isn't reliable?" They shutup!
The bottom line: They're a waste of money for most people. If they
weren't, they wouldn't be sold, 'cause they'd be unprofitable for the folks
who sell 'em. Everybody knows somebody who loudly proclaimed his love for
his extended warranty, because it has saved him tons of money. You're not
hearing from the majority whose warrantees have quietly expired, or those
whose warranty companies have gone out of business, leaving them with
worthless pieces of paper. My personal advice: If you're buying a vehicle
that's not known for its reliability (unfortunately this includes most
trucks), the warranty is reasonably priced (you can bargain the price!),
and you buy a major company's warranty (not one that's you've never heard
of), and you like the warm-and-fuzzy feeling it gives you, buy the extended
warranty. But read the small print before you buy it -- every word --
because you'd be surprised what it excludes. I've heard real sad stories
because people think that it covers everything. It doesn't. There are
many loopholes. Guess whose favor they're in?