Re: 97 Dak: 3" Lift kit?

From: Dick Campagna (campagna@nothinbut.net)
Date: Sat Aug 30 1997 - 13:37:59 EDT

> On Sat, 30 Aug 97 14:57:32 UT, Jack Snodgrass wrote:
> >Does anyone know how much a 3" lift-kit would cost for a 97 Dak.
> >
> >Also... what does a lift kit like that consit of? What's involved
> >with installing it? Has anyone done one them selves?
> >Jack Snodgrass
> > '97 Dakota SLT+ CC, 2w, V8, auto, stock

Although a 3" lift isn't much, it will raise the center of gravity on your
good-handling truck, thereby making it more unstable in emergency maneuvers
and more uncomfortable to drive. If you replace the wheels/tires with
wider ones to widen the wheel tread width (measurement from the outside of
the tires on one side to the outside of the tires on the other side), this
will compensate. Depending on where you live, you may then have to install
fender flares to cover the tires. In NJ, tires can't protrude more than
1/8" from the body, to avoid problems with rain spray. You may also be
required to place flaps behind the rear wheels, as in NJ. I don't know
what the law says where you live. But, if you think these requirements
suck, just remember how difficult it is for YOU to pass a rain-spraying
truck in a downpour. You should realize, too, that installing a body lift
will only improve your approach/departure angle . . . not your overall
ground clearance. If you have state motor vehicle inspection, you'd better
check with your state motor vehicle inspection laws first, too. It usually
covers such things as bumper and headlight/taillight height, too.
Comments?

DIck C.