Re: EGR valve again; (Was 95 Dakota Sag & Pop Problem)

From: Michael Clark (mclark@wt.net)
Date: Mon Sep 01 1997 - 00:33:39 EDT

Jane or Larry Elliott wrote:

> My '92, 3.9, 5 sp'd started doing the same thing right after I installed
> the open K&N clone, figured that it was the cause. Yesterday I changed
> the fuel filter and EGR valve. Today it ran like a champ cold and warm.
> The old EGR was clean and I don't think that it was the problem, but for
> less than $3 it's worth trying.

Are you saying an EGR valve is less than $3.00?? I hope that's not a
type-o because I need a new one. I thought they were more like $50?
Guess I'll find out tommorow...

About my idle problems I posted a few days back; Today I removed the EGR
valve and cleaned the passages in the manifold as best I could, (used
throttle body cleaner) I also sprayed the valve clean. It had quite a
bit of built up carbon on the valve seat and the manifold passages. The
valve did not seem to be frozen, it moved without too much dificulty,
but I do not have a vacum pump to test it. I think maybe the carbon was
preventing the valve from sealing properly. I replaced the valve, and
ran the truck for a while, parked it and let it sit. Started it up
about 15 min. later (this was when the idle problem was occuring the
most, on warm restarts) and let it idle for about 10 min, and it idled
fine. There was one time when the engine felt like it wanted to act up,
but it smoothed out almost immediately and idled great until I killed
it.... So I think I have at least found the problem. At any rate, I'm
overdue for a new valve....

--
Michael Clark            mike@snakebite.com
     '93 Mark III 4X2 V-8 SWB RC auto