Re: Jarrod's problems (was: Jacob's Ignition Sucks!)

From: Andre Mauboussin (andrem@cyberramp.net)
Date: Mon Sep 01 1997 - 15:02:27 EDT

Jarrod Pilone wrote:

> i guess i could disconnect the end links from the front end and give
> it a
> try, couldnt hurt, but i dont think it will gimme that tenth i need:).
> all
> the tire and handling package consists of is the 15x8 rims and a rear
> swaybar for extended cab models (and the rear one is like half an inch
>
> thick!). i dont think it would make much a diff, but its worth a
> try:).
> maybe a set of kyb gas-a-justs up front would help, set it to 90/10
> for
> drag racing:) hehehe. even though the DR's bite like a rattlesnake on
> juicy mouse:)
>
> i really think going to 4.10's will make the difference, it will add
> another 450-500 rpms at cruising speed (65 mph). i know everyone has
> been
> saying it wont make a diff, but you all are also comparing them like
> they
> were 3.90's. there is a .2 difference betwen 3.9's and 4.10's
> man...its
> like saying 3.55 and 3.73 are the same??. i think the new gears will
> gimme
> that extra time im lookin for. almost everyone i consulted at the race
>
> track said that going to 4.10's from 3.55's will knock almost a half a
>
> second off my e.t. so im gonna swap em in!. and if i fail, i will
> apologize
> out the yin-yang for being wrong.

DON'T DO THE 4.10s!!! Unless you are willing to increase your stall
speed to about 2800 rpm, your truck will be an even bigger pig out of
the hole and burn a bunch more gas. Karl Moltzan did the exact same 3.55
to 4.10 swap as you are (he has an extended cab also) contemplating with
NO improvement in ET (and he has a higher than stock stall speed
convertor!). The SBEC is what you need and you can still get good gains
by replacing the pipe from the manifolds to the convertor and going to a
3" high flow cat. I replaced mine with 2 1/4" aluminized pipe into a 2
1/4x 2 1/4 x 3" Flowmaster Y-Pipe into a 3" cat. This combined with a
Flowmaster big block muffler netted me at least 4 tenths. You will be
very broke and disappointed if you do the 4.10s.

Andre Mauboussin
95 Sport
14.70@93.5mph (every mod I've done has worked ;-)

MP SBEC