Re: R/T Confirmation :(

From: Robert Tufts (rbt@frontiernet.net)
Date: Thu Sep 04 1997 - 13:30:31 EDT

From: John Neff <jndneff@flash.net>

 OK, now a very quick venting. It PISSES ME OFF that CC would first
announce the truck in the various configurations to be available at a
given date, then they push the date back for what ever reason. Now they
have halfway ignored their previous commitment to the public that the
truck will even be produced. This is wrong! I was brought up that if you
say you are going to do something, then you do it. Why does CC not
follow this basic rule. Does anyone know who at CC I can call to vent
at?
    I'm done with that now.
    So, I'm very much aware of the differences between the 4X2 and 4X4.
But, I have never owner a 4X4 and am seriously considering one. I will
most likely get the Sport+ if I get the 4X4. My question to you folks is
this. What kind of additional maintenance can I expect with the 4X4 and
what can I expect to break on it. It will be used for on road 98% of the
time with the off road limited to either the beach or small dirt back
roads, so very little abuse will befall it.
Thanks all,
John Neff
future NON R/T Dakota owner

Well John you pretty much summed up my feelings. I rarely go off-road but do lots
of winter driving into ski/snowmobile country. I don't particularly need ground
clearance and a lowered 4X4 would suit me fine. I thought the R/T would be a
good place to start with 360 engine (towing trailer) but wasn't charmed at the
idea of an auto. I really didn't care/need the R/T package (decals, etc) just the 360
would have been good. Now my decision is easy: Sport Plus, CC, 318, 4X4 with goodies.

As for maintenance: I've no Mopar experience to date but got 200K miles on my Nissan
4X4 with absolutely no repairs to the transfer case, hubs, etc. (auto-lock hubs).
People always said how bad 4X4's are for repair, well all I know is how good they
are in deep snow climbing hills! :-)

-Bob T.