Re: 98 Dakota

From: Robert Tufts (rbt@frontiernet.net)
Date: Thu Sep 04 1997 - 14:57:06 EDT

from Bob Carmack <rob@notnow.com>

I want to add to some recent posts about shabby service at the dealership.
Some of you may know that I had on order a 98 Dak CC, 4x2, 318 5spd, hell
everything. Ordered it in early July. Supposed to be delivered in early
Sept. Well it got here today and it's a beauty, but it had one major flaw.
 They put on a 3.92 rear end instead of the 3.55. Man, was I mad and still
am. Come to find out my salesman screwed up the order on the computer. I
was told they would have to reorder and wait till Nov for delivery. I told
them to keep their damn truck and cancelled my order. I needed a truck
yesterday so I bought a friends Chevy Z71 which is in pristine condition.
I guess I will just wait and see what they have to offer in late 98. Make
sure when you guys order to verify every nut and screw or you might end up
with a Chevy.

Well I'd be pissed too but if they didn't offer to make it right I'd put pressure on
the dealership from Dodge rep and make them deliver the parts ASAP and retrofit
the truck, providing you a loaner in the mean time. It's still good advice to double
check the dealer (the Kelly Blue Book options page as provided by Dodge seems confusing
to me. Some options packages are subsets of others and you gotta specify the lower
code numbers/letters. For example I don't see a tach & 22 gallon tank described in
the Sport plus pkg, but it appears as part of the standard sport package. Yet they
have another option group that includes tach, tank & big alternator. Seems like
things are reversed (Sport plus should have those as standard). You can be sure
I'll be checking all the details in detail with the salesman.

I dunno, but somehow if you heart was set on a Dak, I can't see how a Chevy would
satisfy it. (the dealer is the screwup, not the truck). Unfortunately they probably
have little incentive to makes things right as they can probably move a 318 for more $
to some other buyer. (seem to be a surplus of 6's). I think you need to apply pressure
from the top if it isn't too late.

-Bob T.
 (PS: The car buying experience is usually like a rectal exam as the above shows:
It's just a question of when you bend over and how loud you scream in protest! :-)
Can't wait til the bull is done & over with....(hoping for a clear ride)