Re: Ram/Dakota 4x4 and Consumer Reports + Toyota

From: Brian Blatter (brian@pure-energy.net)
Date: Fri Sep 05 1997 - 12:41:42 EDT

Karl Kromer wrote:

> >From: "Dick Campagna" <campagna@nothinbut.net>
> >To: <dakota@ait.fredonia.edu>
> >Subject: Re: Ram/Dakota 4x4 and Consumer (Reports)
>
> >> From: Jane or Larry Elliott <elliott@serv.net>
> >> To: dakota@ait.fredonia.edu
> >> Subject: Re: Ram/Dakota 4x4 and Consumer Distorts
> >> Date: Thursday, September 04, 1997 10:06 PM
>
> >(stuff snipped)
>
> I looked at the Toyotas, and my major complaints were the harsh ride
> and
> attitude of the sales people. Anyway, the pre-Tacoma V-6's blow head
> gaskets around the 50-70k mark. The reason I heard was that the 3.0l
> v-6
> came straight out of the Camry, and really isn't up to truck service.
>
> I haven't heard of the Tacoma's V6 doing the same, but if someone
> knows
> otherwise I'd like to know. I did hear there was a major problem with
> the
> Tacoma coming from the Fremont plant out of alignment, as well as it
> cracking the front spring mounts.

I had an 84 Toyota 4x4 ext cab 4cyl. before I bought my 96 Dak 4x4 CC
SLT and belonged to the Toyota mailing list. As far as I can remember
the problem was with the Tacoma V6 and not the pre-Tacoma V6s. The
Camry V6 was not having any of these problems. The engines were prone
to blow the head gasket (bad gasket) and the engines would tend to leak
internally. There was really no common mileage mark at which this
happened. I had seen a couple of individuals with 100k and no problem
*yet*. Toyota has extened their warranty in repairing this. Just
before leaving the Toyota list, it came up that the T100 V6 is also
experiencing the same problems except the leak is external. (Hence my
not looking at the T100 as a replacement to my 84 Toy (and they won't
have a V8 until 98.))(snip)

> My 95 Dakota (5.2, 5spd, standard cab, 4x4) leaked very badly the
> first
> winter I had it. I took it back to the dealer, and they spent 2 days
> taking
> out the interior and caulking 3 body seam leaks that were defects from
> the
> factory.
>
> My 96 (purchased in 97, 3.9, auto, CC, 4x4) has 15k miles on it now.
> No
> major problems, but it has a few rattles, the paint is flaking off the
>
> windshield wiper arms, and when I changed the tranny fluid I noticed
> it is
> leaking from the front torque converter seal, the transfer case is
> seeping
> oil, and the front axle is doing the same. At about 30k, I plan on
> having
> this stuff covered under warrantee. I spoke to a transmission guy, and
> he
> said beginning with the 95's the auto tranny had larger needle
> bearings in
> the OD section to solve the failures there. He said the rest of the
> transmission is very good, with the exception of a weak torque
> converter
> that sometimes pukes the lockup clutch.

I have the 96 5.2L V8 4x4 CC SLT with a manual tranny and just had the
transmission replaced at 33k. It was making a bunch of noise. The
dealer had no problem getting approval in replacing the tranny. I hope
this isn't a common problem with the 96, because I love the truck and
want to keep it for a long time.

> -Karl

Brian

--
brian@pure-energy.net
PURE ENERGY.net - Your source for Internet Presence!

Pure Energy Mobile DJ - Good Music for Great Parties and Dances dj@pure-energy.net http://www.pure-energy.net/dj