Re: Front Bed Bends?

From: Jack Snodgrass (dakota@cybermail.net)
Date: Fri Sep 05 1997 - 21:48:23 EDT

On Fri, 05 Sep 1997 14:11:01 -0500, Michael Clark wrote:

>Rader wrote:
>>
>> Frank Ball wrote:
>>
>> > read [CR's] comparo test with the Dakota, S-10 and some other trucks.
>> > Their description of how the brakes worked on the S-10 was positively
>> > scary, and the front of the bed bent when they loaded in a motorcycle.
>>
>> Hey, glad you reminded me, Frank!
>>
>> I have bent the front of my Dakota's bed (a full beer keg broke loose
>> from it's moorings :( ), but found that it was easy as pie to bend back
>> by hand. A little too easy, I fear.
>>
>> A buddy of mind has a '96, and had some rental equipment bend the
>> shit out of his front bed. He drove with the bed smacked against
>> the cab for at least 6 months, so nice guy that I am, I bent his
>> bed back by hand. Lots of missing paint!
>>
>> Anyone else noticed this?
>>
>> Ron
>Yep, I had a 15 gallon water jug setting in the back (near the tailgate)
>once when I hit my brakes..... you can imagine what happened next. It
>wasn't very bad, mine didn't touch the cab but the top part of the bed
>was left with a buckle in it. Couple of tougs by hand and it came back
>into line. I have noticed the same "bend" on a lot of dakotas.
>--
>Michael Clark mike@snakebite.com
> '93 Mark III 4X2 V-8 SWB RC auto
> MP SBEC, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster cat-back dual
> Doug Thorley Headers
> http://userv.wt.net/~mclark/

Just wondering if these bed bends occur in trucks with drop in bed liners
as much as trucks with no bed liners or sprayed in bed liners? I wonder
if the drop in bed liners spread the impact and lessen the damage? Just
curious.
Jack Snodgrass - jack@cybermail.net
   '97 Dakota SLT+ CC, 2w, V8, auto, Fresh air by Meldrum