Re: R/T Confirmation :(

From: Klaus Wilkens (klaus@buffnet.net)
Date: Sun Sep 07 1997 - 20:56:12 EDT

JT McBride wrote:

> > OK, now a very quick venting. It PISSES ME OFF that CC would
> first
> >announce the truck in the various configurations to be available at a
>
> >given date, then they push the date back for what ever reason. Now
> they
>
> I expect the production gap due to this summer's strike really messed
> up the production schedule. Durango's were supposed to be in the
> showroom by now, or so I thought.
>
> As a business, Chrysler has to make a profit. If they are selling
> every
> unit they can crank out, they don't need a performance vehicle to
> boost
> the product's image. When and if they get caught up with backlog, I
> would expect a higher-profit setup like the R/T will be produced. And
> they may simply not have the resources to retool for Durango AND 5.9l
> Dakotas.

We also have to remember our friendly government interference in the
form of CAFE. That's the reason you see so many 3.9 Dakotas. When I
ordered my 5.2 in 94 I had avery difficult time getting it built becasue
of the CAFE requirements. CC like every other manufacturer has to
"balance its CAFE ledgers", unfortunately for us CC is much smaller than
Ford or GM and CC has a much higherpercentage of truck sales vs total
output.

KW