Re: Horse power ratings

From: Glenn & Lynn Vanderburg (vanderbu@silk.net)
Date: Sun Sep 07 1997 - 18:52:15 EDT

Funny you should talk about Kenworth. I work at Western Star Trucks. We now
have the newest engines up to 600hp 12 or 14L engines.

----------
From: Smith L. W. Nash <railway@mindspring.com>
To: 'dakota@ait.fredonia.edu'
Subject: RE: Horse power ratings
Date: Sunday, September 07, 1997 8:12 AM

Torque is more important than HP. Torque is what makes it move. In a nut
shell, Torque is the low RPM rating and HP is the upper RPM rating. when
they cross, that's the maximum efficiency of the engine. I've seen
engines on the dyno have two crosspoints. It's real weird to see a dyno
computer produce torque and hp ratings like that of a 1200 ci cummins in a
Kenworth KW600 on a 3.9L or 5.2L.