Idle problems Was: tbi removal

From: Michael Clark (mclark@wt.net)
Date: Mon Sep 08 1997 - 21:40:51 EDT

Jarrod Pilone wrote:

> Michael,
>
> when i removed my TBI, i re-used the factoryh gasket and havent had anyh
> vacuum problems at all. but my truck was built in may of 1997, yours is a
> bit older and you may have to replace it. i would say replace it man, its
> only like a few bucks.
>
> Jarrod

Thanks for the info guys. Well, being the inpatient kind of guy I am I
went ahead and pulled the tbi and cleaned it inside and out. Man you
could eat off that thing now. Some throttle body cleaner and an old
toothbrush does wonders. My gasket came off with a small crack in it,
so I need a new one, but for tonight it is doing fine.

Why am I doing this? Let me fill you guys in, and maybe get some help.
About a week or so ago I posted that I was having an idle problem. I
asked about the EGR valve.... Well, it's not the EGR valve, fuel filter,
spark plugs, AIS motor, rotor, dist. cap, or O2 sensor, those are all
brand new now. But the problem is still there. In the morning it seems
fine (cold start) and going down the freeway it's fine. But if I let
the truck set for around 30min or more (after it's reached operating
temperature) and then start it back up, it will idle ok for about 45
seconds and then start to struggle. I say struggle because that's the
best way I can describe it. It shakes and gurgles and makes pretty loud
sucking sound in the throttle body. The idle is like it has a monster
cam in it... Then after about 20 - 30 seconds of that it will clear up
again an it's fine until I shut if off and let it set again. If I drive
off while it's acting up, I can feel the truck surge under part
throttle, it will hesitate for a few seconds and then take off like
someone rear ended me. The local dealer was going to look at it but
they are swamped and the service manager said I'd have to leave it for a
day or so. Don't think so, but he did say that he "guaranteed" that if
I scrubbed out the tbi it would solve my problems. I don't know if it
has solved the problem tonight, I'll tell in the morning on the way back
from school. But I doubt it helped it any. But it didn't cost anything
to clean and it probably didn't hurt anything and that's one more thing
I can eliminate as a posible cause...

So now I'm thinking what else it could be:
Plug wires; originals 65k on them.
bad coil or coil wire; Would that cause these type symptoms???
an injector sticking open???
A vacum leak??? (don't hear any)

Also the inside of my intake manifold was wet looking. I thought the
magnum manifolds were "dry" manifolds. There was a good ammount of
black carbon all inside and it looked "oily". Is this normal? I kinda
remember reading an article on the magnum engines that said if your
intake was oily looking inside you have a cover gasket??? that is
leaking? Does anyone know anything about that?

It just seems that no matter what I do, I just can't trace this
down.....
Any help or ideas will be EXTREMELY appreciated.

--
Michael Clark            mike@snakebite.com
     '93 Mark III 4X2 V-8 SWB RC auto