RE: Stolen Cars & Trucks

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Tue Sep 09 1997 - 14:40:37 EDT

At 04:34 PM 9/9/97 UT, you wrote:
>I'm not sure, I never had to get into one that far. Usually, it was just a
>quick "HOOK & BOOK" with one of the Eagle Claws (Got to Love those
>autoloaders). I know it's done a couple of different ways. On my truck,
the
>ignition kill grounds out the positive wire to the coil. The truck will
crank
>with no spark. I would think a starter kill would ground out the wire
between
>the ignition switch and starter solenoid and maybe even the coil as well.
>When you set the alarm, it will close the circuit disabling the starter.
<snip>

>Point is if a professional wants to take your car, you can't stop him. You
>can slow him down but you can't stop him.
>

>Walter_Felix@MSN.COM

Walter:

What do you think of products such as 'the club'? I've installed an
after-market alarm on my '97 (starter/ignition kill plus siren), but I also
use 'the club' as an additional deterrent. As you noted, and where I live,
the primary problem is joy riding kids, not professional thiefs.

I have also heard that the stock ignition on the Dakota is more difficult
to bypass than earlier model CC products .... any truth to this?

Thanks.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, B.C.