Center Console ( was Re: Thinking of Buying a SLT)

From: Jack Snodgrass (dakota@cybermail.net)
Date: Thu Sep 11 1997 - 09:52:52 EDT

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997 07:31:12 -0500, Bob Carmack wrote:
>>(stuff snipped)
>>
>>> I ordered my '97 about this time last year. I ordered a SLT with all of
>>the
>>> options EXCEPT the electric windows and overhead console, bucket seats
>>and wide tires. Since you plan to tow, I recommend the V8 automatic,
>>towing
>>
>>Rob - Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the bucket seats you didn't order
>>the same seats as the one you did order, except for what's between them?
>>From what I see in the showroom, the *bucket seats* have a console between
>>them and the other seats have a separate seat between them, a cup-holder in
>>the forward edge, and a fold-down armrest/storage area. So, the bottom
>>line is that both seats are just as comfortable. What you're paying for is
>>what's in the middle. Right? Thanks . . .
>>
>>Por Favore, Non Mi Rompere i Coglioni.
>>
>>Grazie!
>
>After some investigating it seemed the buckets wrapped around a little more
>than the bench 40/20/40, but not much. My $0.02
>
>Rob Carmack

    I test drove a SLT with the bucket seats and deep center console for
250+ miles and I bought a SLT with the cheaper seats.

    I don't think that there is much difference in the seats them selves. I
don't think that the center console is as WIDE as the flip down arm rest.
That arm rest is very wide.

    The Center Console is DEEP. You can loose things down there... but you
can store a lot more. I know that someone installed a CD Changer in there.
I like the flip down arm rest. It is pretty roomy and you can move it out
of the way. I do wish I could install a CD-Changer in it. That's not going
to happen.

    Anyway... I think that you should base your decision on what you want
to do with the center console/armrest and not the difference in the seats
which is pretty minimal.

    I can't recall right off hand... but I think that the 20 part of the
front seat with the flip down armrest may just be bolted to the floor and
doesn't move with the seat adjustments.