Re: trannywork and the pumpkin

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Thu Sep 11 1997 - 13:15:44 EDT

>a) I noticed that there was talk about changing the rear differential
>How easy is this to do yourself Do I need any special tools (Pumps?),

I would make sure the lube is warm - been driven at least 10 miles.
I would recommend removing the whole rear plate on the pumpkin. That
way you can clean any debris off the bottom, and inspect the ring gear
for serious wear. If the light-duty diffs are like the SG unit, there's
no gasket -- just silicone sealer. Make sure things are really, really
clean before applying the silicone and bolting things together.

Standard silicone gasket rules apply - apply sealant to both surfaces,
put together with just finger-tight bolts, allow to cure, then tighten
the bolts to torque. The fill hole is usually at the level the fluid
should be refilled to. You can use a pump (gear lube pumps work great)
or a funnel, I suppose. I bought a Sta-Lube gear lube pump, switched
the fluid to diff lube, and filled it to overflowing, then popped the
rubber plug in.

>b) Does anyone think I have cause (or a good chance) to go back to
>the dealer and seek some sort of reparations for all the extra

I would certainly think so. I hope they wrote "Customer thinks tranny"
on some of those service records. If you have problems with the dealer
(and you will - they won't get a chance to charge Chrysler for the fix)
escalate it to your regional rep. The dealer will give you his number
when pressed.

Jim