trannywork and the pumpkin

From: Rick (richard.c.mahoney@lmco.com)
Date: Thu Sep 11 1997 - 09:48:31 EDT

dakota folk;
I just want to relay some info and also ask a question to the
DIY's on the list;
I recently had my tranny (A500) that I was having problems with
on and off for about 6 months die. In short, It ate itself up! :-<
A complete rebuild of the standard wear parts along with some
extras that are not part of the standard rebuild (planetary gear and
overdrive Sun gear set me back about $1700! OUCH!!! And there is only
50K miles on the truck although it is 7 years old.
For those of you who remember my posts, I had taken it
to the dealer about 8 times *telling them* I had tranny probs and
they kept telling me I didn't! the problem was with the engine and
the tranny acting up was only a result of a different prob!
Obviously I decided to take the truck to a different place to get it
truly fixed.

Any way - 1st my comment:
As I was venting steam to the mech at the tranny shop, telling him
the probs with the tranny, He told me that his shop sees on the
average 25 GM truck trannys to every 3 Dodge truck trannys to every
1 f**d truck tranny. I was surprized to say the least.

2nd-my questions (2)
a) I noticed that there was talk about changing the rear differential
Lube for people who launch boats if their pumpkin gets submerged.
How easy is this to do yourself Do I need any special tools (Pumps?),
or will the lube grease flow out easily? (dumb question I know...)

b) Does anyone think I have cause (or a good chance) to go back to
the dealer and seek some sort of reparations for all the extra
unneeded work that was done to my truck un-necessarily and cost me
~$400 and never fixed the problem! is Malpractice a possible claim
due to negligence? the guy at the tranny shop told me if I had taken
care of this 6 months ago, it would have cost me ~ $700 less

TIAFAH,

rICK
'90 4x4 3.9L Auto(A500)
-------------^^^^^^^^^^ freshly rebuilt!