Re: Sliding Rear Window: Yes or No?

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 19 1997 - 03:22:57 EDT

At 03:14 AM 9/19/97 -0400, Dick Campagna wrote:
>----------
>> From: Jon Steiger <stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu>
[...]
>> >. . . in the bed can invite problems due to carbon monoxide. In one
>> >particular case, parents went to take their children out of the bed when
>> >they arrived at their destination, but the children were dead (from CO
>> >poisoning).
>> >

>> You wouldn't happen to know the specifics of that case, would you?
>> I wonder if the children were in the truck while it was idling? I
>> should think that a truck moving at any speed over a crawl would have
>> sufficient airflow to blow the fumes away... Its definitely something to
>
>> think about though! (Especially if you've got a cap.)

[...]
>Jon - The truck was not idling; the parents had driven from point A to
>point B, and when they got there, the children were dead. I also read a
>newspaper article years ago that told of some children dying in the back of
>a station wagon because mom and dad left the tailgate window open while
>driving. I know that, planning for the use of a camper on the bed, years
>ago some manufacturers would equip their *Camper Special* trucks with a
>different tailpipe location to prevent this type of problem.

  Hmmm... Must be a case of the vehicle creating a vaccum and sucking
the exhaust up into the bed. I know vehicles like my Dad's Caravan
are real good at sucking the dirt up at the back window, so it makes
sense that it would do the same for the fumes... I suppose they actually
do get blown away, but since they are replaced constantly by more fumes
from the exhaust, its a constant flow and as far as CO poisoning goes, the
truck probably might as well be sitting still... Thanks for bringing that
up, Dick! That's the first I've ever heard of it. My dog rides up front
with me from now on! :-)

                                              -Jon-

  .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---.
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) |
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.