Re: Sliding Rear Window: Yes or No?

From: Dick Campagna (campagna@nothinbut.net)
Date: Fri Sep 19 1997 - 03:53:31 EDT

----------
> From: Jon Steiger <stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu>
> To: dakota@ait.fredonia.edu
> Subject: Re: Sliding Rear Window: Yes or No?
> Date: Friday, September 19, 1997 3:22 AM
>
> At 03:14 AM 9/19/97 -0400, Dick Campagna wrote:
> >----------
> >> From: Jon Steiger <stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu>
> [...]
CO

> >> You wouldn't happen to know the specifics of that case, would you?
> >> I wonder if the children were in the truck while it was idling? I
> >> should think that a truck moving at any speed over a crawl would have
> >> sufficient airflow to blow the fumes away... Its definitely something
> >
> >> think about though! (Especially if you've got a cap.)
> >>
> [...]
> >Jon - The truck was not idling; the parents had driven from point A to
> >point B, and when they got there, the children were dead. I also read a
> >newspaper article years ago that told of some children dying in the back
of
> >a station wagon because mom and dad left the tailgate window open while
> >driving. I know that, planning for the use of a camper on the bed,
years
> >ago some manufacturers would equip their *Camper Special* trucks with a
> >different tailpipe location to prevent this type of problem.
>

> Hmmm... Must be a case of the vehicle creating a vaccum and sucking
> the exhaust up into the bed. I know vehicles like my Dad's Caravan
> are real good at sucking the dirt up at the back window, so it makes
> sense that it would do the same for the fumes... I suppose they actually

> do get blown away, but since they are replaced constantly by more fumes
> from the exhaust, its a constant flow and as far as CO poisoning goes,
the
> truck probably might as well be sitting still... Thanks for bringing
that
> up, Dick! That's the first I've ever heard of it. My dog rides up front

> with me from now on! :-)
>

> -Jon-

Jon - I recently retired after many years as a Safety Director of a major
military installation. My responsibility was preventing all types of
injuries and fatalities. I noticed that Chrysler Co was the only mfr that
put decals on its vans' rear door opening windows that said something like
*Warning - Keep windows closed when vehicle is running.* We were really
strict on this, since the vans were often packed solid with soldiers. It
was dumb, though, that the decals were only visible from the outside of the
ven, where the handle is not, instead of inside, where the handle is.

Por Favore, Non Mi Rompere i Coglioni. Grazie!

Dick C.