FW: Sliding Rear Window: Yes or No?

From: Ned Vogler (NVOGLER@rghosp.chime.org)
Date: Fri Sep 19 1997 - 12:47:00 EDT

> I don't remember if the rear window was in the '96 SLT package, but
>think I ordered the sliding window seperately. I didn't know at the
>time how easy the make breaking into the truck, but as we have seen
>recently on the list, if someone wants in, there's not much you can
>do about it.

I've got the SLT package too, Jon, and I specifically remember ordering
the Sliding Rear Window separately. Somewhere in the neighborhood of
$119 dealer cost or something like that. As far as the SRW making it
easier to break into the truck, that very well could be, but I find that
it's advantages far outweigh the risks. My last truck had no slider in
the back and I hated not having one. It was a "must get" when I ordered
my Dak.

> I find that the rear window helps to "smooth" out the circulation
>a little... Some of the air that comes in the side windows can go out
>the back instead of blasting around the cab. Maybe the dimensions of
the
>'97 are different, but on my '96 club cab, I can open and close the
sliding
>window while driving, without turning around (but just barely).

Yes, I agree with you totally... another nice thing I've noticed is that
when driving around town, if you don't want a lot of ventilation, but you
do want some, just open the club cab windows, and open the slider part
way, and you get nice air movement without all the road noise you get
from having the main passenger windows open, and tons less mussed-up
hair! :-)

> One of the things that I like most about the sliding rear window is
>actually kind of a silly reason, but... When the rear window is open,
>you can hear the exhaust a LOT better. It makes the truck sound so
>much better. :-) Kind of ironic that we upgrade our exhaust systems
>for that deeper v-8 rumble, but we can't hear it from the cab. :-)
>Sliding rear window fixes that. (Hey, I TOLD you it was a silly
reason!)

Hey, I don't find that a silly reason at all!! Aside from having someone
else drive our trucks, the *only* way to really hear the exhaust is to
drive with the club cab windows and slider open to hear exhaust! I
absolutely love to hear my Gibson sing!
Pretty cool when someone else is driving the vehicle too, different
perspective. Last time I had my truck at the dealer for service <gulp>,
the wrench jockey was pulling it into the bay, and I was standing at the
service desk as he was pulling in, MAN, what a sweet sound, even just
barely above idle... hee hee (simple pleasures!)

Ciao!

Ned Vogler
(nvogler@rghosp.chime.org)
'96 Dakota SLT V8 5-sp 4x4 Club Cab
Gibson 3" Catback Exhaust/MPI FIPK-clone/Magnecor KV85 wires
Brass Cap & Rotor/Autolite Platinums/Blaster 3 Coil
MSD 6AL Ignition & MPI Super Street TBI w/Power Bridge
Pioneer DEH-65DH/Pioneer TS-A5705/TS-626/SAS Bazooka A82-80
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/9636/