Re: New '98 Sport+ 4x4 club cab

From: Michael Clark (mclark@wt.net)
Date: Fri Sep 19 1997 - 15:24:39 EDT

Geoffrey Hausheer wrote:

> It is a 318 (5.2L for all you metric-type people) 5spd with the highest ratio
> rear end I could get (3.92? 3.55? I don't remember) and it is green if that
> makes a difference....

Yep, sure does, green ones burn a lot of gass and kick a lot of
ass....;~)

But your milleage WILL improve as the engine breaks in.

> As for gas, is 89 alright to run in the 318? I don't expect to get any knock
> with a stock engine, but I was wondering what other people run, and if anyone
> has experienced pinging?

Unless you have the Mopar computer 87 will do just fine. Before the
computer swap I would burn 87 and an occasional tank of 89 and on
Christmas a tank of 93. But IMHO anything over 87 is a bit of a waste.
With the stock computer I have never heard a single ping, even at 5
grand with 87. Just a few weeks ago I switched back to the stock
computer and ran it with 87 for a week with NO problems (other than a
lazy truck, computer is a major kick in the pants) so I would say stick
with 87.

This also reminds me, some time back there was a discussion here about
the MPSBEC causing the Magnum engine's octane requirements to increase
(even when the stock computer is put back in). It didn't seem to affect
mine at all.

--
Michael Clark            mike@snakebite.com
     '93 Mark III 4X2 V-8 SWB RC auto  --GREEN--

"My car is really fast... It kicks alot of ass... ..... It runs on gas.. eeh hehheh eheeheh" (Beavis, 1997 MTV)