New '98 Sport+ 4x4 club cab

From: Geoffrey Hausheer (ghaushe@ichips.intel.com)
Date: Fri Sep 19 1997 - 11:50:38 EDT

I just got my new '98 Dakota 4x4 club cab last week, and man it is great.
However, while I was expecting the gas mileage to be bad, I wasn't expecting
it to be THIS bad. I am averaging about 10.5 MPG city (those are american
miles, and american gallons :) )...anyhow, on the highway it is better almost
17 with cruise on. Now admittedly, I MAY have a lead foot, and definitely am
addicted to the smell of burning rubber, but since the engine is brand new, I
have been very nice to it, and have been pretty conservative on the gas. Can
I expect that the mileage will get better once the engine is broken in, or do
I just have to expect this for the rest of my life? By the way, the important
info:
It is a 318 (5.2L for all you metric-type people) 5spd with the highest ratio
rear end I could get (3.92? 3.55? I don't remember) and it is green if that
makes a difference....
As for gas, is 89 alright to run in the 318? I don't expect to get any knock
with a stock engine, but I was wondering what other people run, and if anyone
has experienced pinging?
And if anyone cares, gas is, on average, 89:$1.56 92:$1.67 here in the
Portland, OR area...although, like NJ, we are required to let them pump it for
us, oh well at least there is no sales tax in OR.
Thanks,
Geoffrey Hausheer
Intel Corp.
Hillsboro, OR