Re: Re[2]: Sliding Rear Window: Yes or No?

From: Dick Campagna (campagna@nothinbut.net)
Date: Sun Sep 21 1997 - 09:00:40 EDT

Clarification: Any comments I've made reference a carbon monoxide hazard
to anyone riding in a pickup truck's bed refers to doing so when a cap is
in place.

And, I'm sure that anyone else's comments about actual fatalities refer to
incidents when a cap was in place. I'm sure that riding in the bed without
a cap isn't a problem as far as carbon monoxide is concerned; however, it
still isn't a wise thing to do, restrained or not (unless you had a *real*
roll bar, not a *light* bar). And I wouldn't put my dogs back there,
either, even if they were restrained. Dogs who ride with their heads out
the window are subject to eye injury, so I'm sure the same applies when
they're riding in the bed.

Por Favore, Non Mi Rompere i Coglioni. Grazie!

Dick C.

----------

_________________________________
> Subject: Re: Sliding Rear Window: Yes or No?
> Author: Jon Steiger <stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu> at Internet_Gateway
> Date: 9/19/97 3:01 AM
>

> At 02:50 AM 9/19/97 -0400, Dick Campagna wrote:
> >Thanks for the info, but be aware that placing anyone . . . human or
animal
> >. . . in the bed can invite problems due to carbon monoxide. In one
> >particular case, parents went to take their children out of the bed when

> >they arrived at their destination, but the children were dead (from CO
> >poisoning).
> >

> You wouldn't happen to know the specifics of that case, would you?
> I wonder if the children were in the truck while it was idling? I
> should think that a truck moving at any speed over a crawl would have
> sufficient airflow to blow the fumes away... Its definitely something to

> think about though! (Especially if you've got a cap.)
>
> Also, speaking of putting humans in the bed of a truck (as the above
> parents did), this is illegal in New York state, and probably some
> others too, I would suspect. (Lack of proper restraint systems, I think
> is the rationale there.)
>

> -Jon-
>
> .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/
---.
> | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ,
RP-SEL |