Re:Dogs in Pickups

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Sun Sep 21 1997 - 16:26:32 EDT

At 09:00 AM 9/21/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Clarification: Any comments I've made reference a carbon monoxide hazard
>to anyone riding in a pickup truck's bed refers to doing so when a cap is
>in place.
>
>And, I'm sure that anyone else's comments about actual fatalities refer to
>incidents when a cap was in place. I'm sure that riding in the bed without
>a cap isn't a problem as far as carbon monoxide is concerned; however, it
>still isn't a wise thing to do, restrained or not (unless you had a *real*
>roll bar, not a *light* bar). And I wouldn't put my dogs back there,
>either, even if they were restrained. Dogs who ride with their heads out
>the window are subject to eye injury, so I'm sure the same applies when
>they're riding in the bed.
>
>Por Favore, Non Mi Rompere i Coglioni. Grazie!
>
>Dick C.

Dick:

I'm had Labradors for 20 years. They ride in the back of the pickup,
inside the cap, each properly crated in a Veri-Kennel. Neither myself, or
anybody else in the Retriever Club has had any sort of problem...besides
that, I like my Dakota too much to have dirty, wet and muddy dogs in the cab!

As long as you don't have exhaust leaks, I don't see how you can have any
problems.
Also, the thought of 85lbs of dog flying around inside the cab if I have to
stop suddenly doesn't thrill me...and yes, I know you can buy dog seat belts.

Cheers.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, B.C.