Review: Lund Grille inserts for 97 Dak

From: Jack Snodgrass (dakota@cybermail.net)
Date: Mon Sep 22 1997 - 11:09:28 EDT

days now. Thought I'd post my thoughts on them. I got the grille inserts
at PepBoys for $45.99. They had to be ordered and took 5 days to come in.

    From a distance they look great. Up-close... they look a little
cheesy. If you step back 12 inches or so, you don't see that they are
cheap little plastic inserts that are just stuck there. Several feet away
and further, they look great.

    I don't like the little squares ( 2 per insert ) that are in the
inserts but they are part of the installation hardware and can't be
removed/skipped.

    It was 99 degrees ( Farenheitht for those non U.S. readers out there )
and it took me 90 minutes to drive home ( 32 miles ) on Friday. I didn't
see any problems with overheating. I wasn't towing anything or stressing
the truck much. Friday was a bad day for cars... they're were probably
10 cars off to the side of the road ( including a little ford Ranger ;) )
so it was a hot, slow day. The temp needle stayed at it's normal place.

    The inserts pop in and attch themselves to the existing grille insert.
You can always pop out the inserts and you'll be back to the original
insert. If you do start to overheat, you can pop the inserts out in about
2 minutes.

    To pop the hood... you HAVE to remove one of the grille inserts. I
don't like that... not sure how many times you can remove a grille insert
before one of the plastic parts will snap off or something will wear down.
I will look at extended the hood relase so that it drops below the grille.

    Guess that's about it. I like them so far. I'll post any problems I
have with the inserts if any arise.