Re: K&N FIPK for '95 Dakota

From: Sam Parthemer (samp@cts.com)
Date: Thu Sep 25 1997 - 23:18:55 EDT

> Subject: DML: K&N FIPK for '95 Dakota
> Date: Thursday, September 25, 1997 12:59 PM
>
> And while I'm thinking about air cleaners, what is the deal with
> the price on the real FIPK? The Jeg's catalog in front of me lists
> the K&N FIPK for '92-95 Dakotas at $105. Or I can buy a generic
> 14" can and K&N filter for ~$65-70.
>
> What do you get for the extra $35? Is it a new plenum assembly
> and conical filter, or is it really just $35 more for the name?
>
> Ron

        Well, the FIPK has a CARB EO# on it that will allow you
to pass your smog test (at least visually). In California (and most
all states are going to this) you can't pass with the FABM or other
FIPK clone, without the CARB EO# (which only K&N has).

        The only solution other than buying a FIPK, is to go the
close route, and then when it's time to get your smog test is to
spend 20 minutes taking off the clone setup and reinstalling
the stock OEM aircleaner for the test (then put everything back
on later).

        Sam '95 SLT
http://www.users.cts.com/king/s/samp/
(*whew!*)