R-12 A/C '93 Dakota dilemma follow-up (long)

From: Gregory M Smith (gmsmith@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 01 1997 - 17:21:52 EDT

Thanks to all the folks who responded to my original post regarding the
A/C system failure on my 1993 Dakota. To follow up, I received a call
from a representative of the Chrysler Corporation informing me that they
are refunding me the full amount of $147.68. The following includes my
original post and the successful letter that I sent to Chrysler Corporation
requesting at least some measure of customer satisfaction.

Enjoy!

Greg Smith <gmsmith@uiuc.edu>
1993 Dodge Dakota LE Club Cab 4x2 V-8

Here is my original post requesting feedback regarding a leak in the A/C
system of my 1993 Dodge Dakota.

On Tue, 15 Jul 1997, Gregory M Smith wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I own a 1993 Dodge Dakota with 53,000 miles that I purchased new in
> August, 1993. I have a dilemma regarding it's A/C system. When I turned
> on the A/C this past spring, the compressor did some major short cycling
> which indicated to me that the system was low on R-12 refrigerant or there
> was a possible problem with the low pressure cut-off switch. I didn't
> drive the truck much and/or didn't need the A/C till this past June. When
> I tried to use the A/C in June, the compressor clutch didn't engage at
> all. Oh well, off I go to my friendly Dodge dealer's service department
> to have my malfunctioning A/C system diagnosed and repaired. Since I
> purchased a 5yr/70k Chrysler extended service contract with High Tech
> option when I bought the truck new, I was confident that it would only
> cost me the required $25 deductible to get my A/C system repaired.
>
> Needless to say, I am very unhappy that it cost me $147.68 to get my A/C
> system recharged with 40 oz of R-12 freon and the service department at my
> Dodge dealership was unable to find a leak in the system. Since they
> cannot find the leak that the service manager admits has to be there
> somewhere (or the R-12 wouldn't have leaked out), they are unable to
> replace the faulty part and therefore I am not covered by my Chrysler
> service contract. I was told by the service manager to "keep an eye on
> it" and if the freon leaks out in a reasonable amount of time (defined as
> the rest of this A/C season a.k.a the next couple months here in Central
> Illinois) they will check it out again and possibly do a fluorescent dye
> test. My service contract covers every conceivable component
> of the A/C system on my Dakota including hoses, seals and gaskets.
> Obviously, a covered component is faulty or the R-12 in the system
> wouldn't have found it's way to the ozone layer.
>
> I've talked with a customer relations representative at the Chicago zone
> office and his response was that since the service technician could not
> find a leak in the system, the recharging with R-12 refrigerant would be
> considered a maintenance item for which the customer is financially
> responsible. My question to anyone who may have tangible knowledge or an
> informed opinion is: "At what rate does the A/C system on a Chrysler
> corporation vehicle have to spew CFC laden R-12 into the atmosphere before
> Chrysler acknowledges that there may need to be a repair?"
>
> Any information or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Please let me
> know if you would like more information.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Greg Smith <gmsmith@uiuc.edu>
> 1993 Dodge Dakota LE Club Cab V-8

Here is the letter that I sent to Chrysler Corporation at their request
that netted me the customer satisfaction that I was looking for.

                                Greg Smith
                               P.O. Box 144
                           Sidney, IL 61877-0144
                            Home - (217)688-2531
                            Work - (217)333-7856

September 17, 1997

Chrysler Corporation
P.O. Box 21-8004
Auburn Hills, MI 48321

RE: File # 4211027
     Vehicle - 1993 Dodge Dakota LE Club Cab 4x2 5.2L
     VIN - 1B7GL23Y4PS249354 Mileage - 54,100 miles
     Purchased New - 08/31/93
     Dealership - Shelby Motors, Inc., Champaign, IL

Dear Chrysler Corporation,

At the request of Josh at the National Customer Relations Office during our
telephone conversation of 09/03/97, I am forwarding the original invoice
printouts from my last four visits to Shelby Motors, Inc. concerning a leak
in the air conditioning system of my 1993 Dodge Dakota that I purchased new
in August, 1993. In an effort to obtain at least some measure of customer
satisfaction, I am requesting a refund of $122.68. I had to pay $147.68 for
service that should, in my opinion, be covered under the Chrysler Service
Contract that I purchased with my Dakota at the time of delivery. The amount
of $122.68 that I am requesting is simply the amount of the covered service
less the required $25.00 deductible per the service contract. This amount
that I am requesting does not include all the time and hassle I have invested
in trying to get this matter resolved with Shelby Motors.

The air conditioning on my Dakota quit working earlier this summer. I took
it to Shelby Motors on 07/02/97 to have it repaired. I explained that I have
a Chrysler Service Contract that covers all components of the A/C system at
the time of drop off. When I picked up my Dakota that afternoon I was
distressed that I had to pay $147.68 instead of the $25.00 deductible that I
had anticipated. I was told that the A/C system had leaked out all it's R-12
freon and that they recharged the system with the full 40 ounces of R-12 but
then could not find any leaks with their leak detector. (See invoice no.
DOCS22740) I was told by the service manager, Scott Johnson, that although
there is obviously a leak somewhere, since they could not locate it, I would
have to pay for the A/C recharge. I was also told to "keep an eye on it" and
if the leak shows up within "a reasonable amount of time", Shelby's would
refund my money less the $25.00 deductible required of the service contract.

After performing a closer visual inspection and noticing a small seepage of
A/C system oil at the junction where the A/C lines attach to the expansion
valve near the firewall, I returned to Shelby Motors on 07/10/97 to point out
this potential leak and request that they retest the system for leaks. When
I had previously mentioned that the service contract that I had purchased
covers all components of the A/C system, including seals and gaskets, Scott
Johnson told me that I was wrong and that the contract only covers major
components. It was during this visit on 07/10/97 that I provided Mr. Johnson
with a copy of my Chrysler Service Contract which clearly stated that all
seals, gaskets, hoses, etc. were covered items. His response was that he
wasn't familiar with all of Chrysler's service contracts. Regarding the
retest for leaks, I was told that although the oil seepage could indicate the
location of the leak, their leak detector could not detect it and they would
not replace the gasket at that junction. Again, I was told that there was
obviously a leak in the A/C system, but they could not find it. (See invoice
no. DOCS22927) It was at this time that I began to doubt the
sensitivity/accuracy of their leak detector apparatus.

After talking with the service managers and technicians at several other
Dodge and Chrysler dealerships, it became quite obvious that there were some
serious inconsistencies in the diagnostic procedures between the service
departments of the other Chrysler Corporation dealerships and those of Shelby
Motors. The majority of the other Chrysler service personnel indicated that
they do not rely heavily on the accuracy of the leak detector and that the
most effective and proven method of identifying a leak in an A/C system is to
introduce dye into the system. Most of the service personnel I spoke with
told me that they introduce the dye into the system at the time that they
recharge the system with freon anytime a leak is suspected. When I asked
these service managers and technicians how the dye would have to be
introduced into my A/C system, they all told me that the system would be
evacuated and the dye would be added to the freon when it was put back into
the system through the normal service point. A few Dodge dealership service
departments indicated that they don't even use the leak detector because, in
their opinion, the dye is the only way to find a leak without question. I
proceeded to ask Scott Johnson at Shelby Motors why they had not introduced
the dye to the system to find the leak. He stated that it was not their
normal operating procedure to use the dye and that he was comfortable with
using their leak detector apparatus. I informed Mr. Johnson of the
procedures used at all the other Dodge dealership service departments that I
had visited and then asked him if he would put the dye in my system. He told
me that if I wanted the dye, they would put it in and that in order to
introduce the dye to the system, they would have to evacuate the system of
the existing freon, disconnect a line, pour the dye into the end of the
disconnected line, replace a gasket, reconnect the line and recharge the
system with the freon. Again, I pointed out the inconsistency between
Shelby's procedure and that of all the other Dodge service departments I had
spoken to. Mr. Johnson insisted that they have no way of introducing the dye
to the system without removing a line and replacing a gasket. At this point
I told him that I didn't care how they did it, I wanted the dye put in the
system so that we can find the R-12 freon leak.

On 07/30/97, Shelby Motors introduced the dye to the A/C system on my Dakota.
(See invoice no. DOCS23593) I asked Scott Johnson if I could see which line
was removed to add the dye and which gasket was going to be replaced. Citing
their policy of non-employees in the service area, he would not allow me to
witness the procedure. When my truck was finished, I was given the
aforementioned invoice showing that the dye had been added and a gasket
replaced and told to "keep an eye on it". I thanked Scott Johnson for adding
the dye to the system and left still not knowing which line was removed to
add the dye and which gasket was replaced.

Due to cool outside temperatures and the fact that I don't drive my Dakota
everyday, I didn't use the air conditioning much in the first 2-3 weeks of
August, 1997 and consequently didn't notice any leakage of dye at any
location on the A/C system. When I did finally drive my Dakota on a very hot
and humid day and used the air conditioning to it's full potential, I lifted
the hood to notice a leak of a bright orange oily substance coming from the
junction of the hoses at the expansion valve. This is the same location
where the residual A/C system oil had seeped out previously. At this
discovery of the leaking dye, it appeared that the gasket at the expansion
valve junction has been allowing the freon to leak out when under the high
pressures created by running the A/C on max on a very hot and humid day in
stop and go traffic as well as on the highway as I had done the day that I
discovered this leak. I made an appointment with Shelby Motors to have my
A/C system repaired since the leak had now been located thanks to the use of
the dye. I was also expecting a refund of $122.68 that I had been promised
by Scott Johnson if and when a leak was found.

When I dropped off my Dakota on the morning of 09/03/97, I pointed out the
location of the leak at the expansion valve and reiterated that this was the
exact same place that the leak was suspected due to the residual A/C system
oil at that junction. I was told that when I picked the truck up that
afternoon I should receive the refund for the service that I had to pay for
initially since it could now be claimed under my extended service contract
due to the fact that the leak had now apparently been located and the faulty
gasket (covered component) could now be replaced. Upon picking up my Dakota,
I was disappointed, but not really surprised, that Shelby Motors was once
again willing to send me away unhappy and unsatisfied. I was told that the
junction of the hoses at the expansion valve was the location of the
disassembly to add the dye and that the gasket at this junction was replaced
at that time. This was my first knowledge that the hoses were removed at the
expansion valve and the gasket in question was the gasket replaced when the
dye was added. I was told that the bolt at that junction was loose and was
the cause of the leak. (See invoice no. DOCS24694) Shelby Motors replaced
the same gasket for a second time and Scott Johnson told me that since the
bolt was loose and they didn't think that the gasket they had replaced was
faulty that they couldn't bill the original job to my service contract and
that they would not refund any of the money I had to spend initially. I have
to wonder why then it says to "bill to service policy" in the comments
section of the aforementioned invoice. I asked Scott Johnson if the original
gasket that they replaced at the expansion valve when they put the dye in
could have been the leak, especially since it was suspected due to the
residual oil seepage at that junction to begin with. I was told that since
their leak detector didn't indicate a leak with the original gasket that
we'll never know if it was the problem and "to keep an eye on it" and "let us
know if you have any problems". This was when I realized that Shelby Motors
has no intentions on satisfying me as a customer. It is unfortunate that had
I went to one of many other Chrysler Corporation service departments, I would
not have to be appealing to your office for satisfaction.

Please review my request for customer satisfaction carefully and please call
either of the phone numbers listed on the letterhead of the first page if you
have any questions. Your consideration and attention to this matter is
greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Greg Smith

Enclosures