Re: "Breaking in" a factory engine

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Fri Oct 03 1997 - 13:53:43 EDT

> I think we have all heard an old
> wive's tale similiar to this at one time or another.

  Oh yes, engine break-in procedures are just like religions.

> Anyways, any thoughts I had of going easy on a fresh engine have definitely been put
> to rest. Does anyone have thoughts to the contrary?

  No, not really. If you baby an engine (new or rebuilt), the
cylinders will glaze up and it will always run tight. That doesn't
mean smoking an engine right off the bat is a good idea, necessarily.
Personally, I'll go easy on it the first couple of hundred miles,
then a few good bursty full throttle runs on the highway. Change
the oil early (500-1000 miles). Never lug it, or let it run at one
RPM for more than 30 seconds or so (vary your throttle). Don't
want a ridge in the cylinder.

  I'm sure someone will claim my break-in is wrong or dangerous,
but it's worked well for me for two new cars and at least 4 ring/
bearing/head rebuilds on various vehicles..

  Ron