JTEC code display for '98 models

From: Dan DePardo (ddepardo@ittc.ukans.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 03 1997 - 15:40:09 EDT

Ned Vogler <NVOGLER@rghosp.chime.org> replied:

>Put key in ignition, cycle on-off-on-off-on. Do not start the truck just
>turn key to "run" position, then off, back to "run", then off, then back
>to "run" and leave it. You should see some numbers in your electronic
>odometer. A '55' signals end of codes. You will get the 55 even if you
>have no other codes. This *should* work on the '98 Daks.
>
>Check it out... and let us know!
>
>Ciao!
>
>Ned Vogler
>(nvogler@rghosp.chime.org)
>'96 Dakota SLT V8 5-sp 4x4 Club Cab
>Gibson 3" Catback Exhaust/MPI FIPK-clone/Magnecor KV85 wires
>Brass Cap & Rotor/Autolite Platinums/Blaster 3 Coil
>MSD 6AL Ignition & MPI Super Street TBI w/Power Bridge
>Pioneer DEH-65DH/Pioneer TS-A5705/TS-626/SAS Bazooka A82-80
>http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/9636/
>
>------------------------------

 Hi guys;
 Well, I tried the key on-off-on-off-on sequence on my '98 3.9L,
 with no success.
 I accomplished the sequence in less than 5 seconds, and waited for
 a few minutes, but all that is displayed is the odometer reading.

 I wonder if the airbag shutoff switch (dash mounted, and uses the
 ignition key to activate/deactivate the passenger side airbag)
 might also be the JTEC function switch on the '98s?, rather than the
 ignition switch?

 This switch seems to be one of the few differences between the
 '97 and '98 models.

 The diplay check does work however, (key on while pressing the
 odometer switch) and it was fun to toggle through the various functions.

 Daniel DePardo
 RF Electronics Engineer
 Information and Telecomunications Technology Center
 University of Kansas Center for Research Inc.

  235 Nichols Hall ddepardo@ittc.ukans.edu
  2291 Irving Hill Rd. Phone: (785) 864-3082
  Lawrence, KS 66045-2228 FAX : (785) 864-7789