RE: Rear End/NV3500 Lube

From: Ned Vogler (NVOGLER@rghosp.chime.org)
Date: Wed Oct 08 1997 - 13:17:00 EDT

>At ~26K on my '95, I decided it was probably time to swap out the
>rear end lube. Especially considering the fact that I tow occasionally
>and haul a good 800-1000# every other week or so. This is a Sure Grip
>limited slip unit with 3.55 gears.

Definitely a good idea... the "B" maintenance schedule suggests changing
axle fluids every 12K miles, (I do it about once a year, which works out
about the same as the schedule recommends!) :-)

> Unfortunately, the local NAPA only stocked Valvoline synthetic lube,
>which indicated "not recommended for limited slip applications." Oh
>well, off to AutoZone, where I got some 75W-90 Mobil 1 which met the
>GL-5 spec as well as limited slip applications. About 50 miles after
>the swap, I have no leaks and no extra noise, so it seems OK. Anyone

I'm sure that the Mobil 1 is great stuff, but since you have the
Sure-Grip, you definitely need to add the friction control additive,
(Mopar Hypoid Gear Oil Additive Friction Modifier) whenever you change
rear axle fluid. Someone posted the P/N once, but I don't have it handy.
 Apparently, if it doesn't get added, your Sure Grip clutches will
eventually fail.

> Next on the list: my NV3500 5-speed. The manual indicates that
>a (presumably expensive and only at the dealer) Mopar lube is the
>only approved fill for the NV3500. Anyone know why? I'll use it
>if I have to, but would prefer moving to a full synthetic if possible.

Hmmm, I've spoken to several people about changing the manual trans fluid
on my Dak, and they've all said that it isn't necessary. The owner's
manual also doesn't have any recommended interval for changing the fluid
either, guess it's kind of like brake fluid, you don't usually change it
unless you have to! I had wondered somewhat about this, so if there's a
reason I *should* be changing it, please let me know!

Ciao!

Ned Vogler
(nvogler@rghosp.chime.org)
'96 Dakota SLT V8 5-sp 4x4 Club Cab
Gibson 3" Catback Exhaust/MPI FIPK-clone/Magnecor KV85 wires
Brass Cap & Rotor/Autolite Platinums/Blaster 3 Coil
MSD 6AL Ignition & MPI Super Street TBI w/Power Bridge
Pioneer DEH-65DH/Pioneer TS-A5705/TS-626/SAS Bazooka A82-80
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/9636/