Re: Re: Tale of 3 Dakotas

From: Sam Parthemer (samp@cts.com)
Date: Wed Oct 08 1997 - 12:13:17 EDT

> into a 1 foot crack. The windshield I've got on it right now has a crack

> too. I came out of the house in the morning, and there was a crack from
the
> left edge into the windsheild (about 6 or 7 inches long). Is this a
common
> problem for the earlier body style? I've got full glass coverage, and
> based on my experiences, I think I'll keep it!
>
> -Jon-

        Simple laws of physics. A mass propelled at high velocity at a
more brittle glass-like mass will produce a crack :P

        I've gone through 4 windshields in 5 years (with 2 dakotas). All
problems were due to dings/cracks, massive pitting driving to the desert,
etc.
I've had 2 'stars' fixed, but one split out, and had to get a new
windshield.
My current windshield (2nd one on my '95) got a bolt that hit right in the
middle
of the windshield, at wiper level. I didn't bother to fix the 'star' since
it wasn't in
the way. But, 4 weeks ago, I woke up at 4 am to go deep see fishing, and
when I got in my truck I noticed a silver dollar sized shatter in the
windshield.
Turns out that some kids hit about 80 cars that night with bb guns, and hit
mine right next to the 'star' I already had. The shatter caused the star
split, so I now have a 1.5" bullet hole (on the outside only), and a 3"
circle
,line where the star was. I'll wait until it splits until I fix it (that's
what I was
going to do). This past week the El Nino driven Hurricane Nora dropped
3/4" of rain on San Diego, and I find out that my windshield's seal leaks
at
the bottom of the windshield... I had water spraying straight throught the
windshield and hitting the passenger seat like a water pistol!! Don't
think
I'll go back to the same place to have my 3rd windshield installed. If
anyone is interested, the price is $225.00 installed.

        Sam '95 SLT Dakota
http://www.users.cts.com/king/s/samp/