Re: RE: Rear End/NV3500 Lube

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Wed Oct 08 1997 - 13:12:21 EDT

Ned Vogler wrote:

>. the "B" maintenance schedule suggests changing
> axle fluids every 12K miles,

  I usually follow the B schedule to the letter, with the exception
of the rear end fluid. Mainly because it's something of a PITA,
though the process could be facilitated by pumping the fluid out
through the fill hole, as opposed to dropping the cover. But also
because I usually don't tow or haul anything that really strains
the truck.

> I'm sure that the Mobil 1 is great stuff, but since you have the
> Sure-Grip, you definitely need to add the friction control additive

  Yes. There are plenty of friction modifiers on the market, so
there wasn't any need to visit the dealer.

> The owner's
> manual also doesn't have any recommended interval for changing the
> [NV3500 5 speed tranny] fluid

  True, but while I'm under there... I figure the transmission goes
through it's own form of break-in, and knowing what the fluid in my
~25 year old stern drive looks like when I change it, it certainly
wouldn't hurt anything to swap out the tranny fluid.

> guess it's kind of like brake fluid, you don't usually change it
> unless you have to!

  Although I'm not in the habit of changing my brake fluid on schedule,
I think there is tangible benefit in at least bleeding fresh fluid
through the brake system once in a while. It will get nasty and it
will absorb water over time. When I rebuild brakes, I usually suck
a few ounces of brake fluid through the wheel cylinders (remember to
keep the master cylinder topped off!), until it runs clear.

  Water in brake fluid is bad news. Not only will it corrode bores
and cylinders, it can boil at very inopportune times and cause your
brakes to fail.

  Thanks for the insights,

  Ron