Re: 4 stroke in reverse...How???

From: Geoffrey Hausheer (ghaushe@ichips.intel.com)
Date: Wed Oct 08 1997 - 13:16:45 EDT

Okay...I am an engineer...I have taken classes in combustion engines...BUT, I
am an ELECTRICAL engineer, and thus I have not taken a LOT of classes in
combustion engines...Intuitively, it does not make a lot of sense that a 4
stroke engine could run backward for more than a few cycles (god knows I've
had engines backfire while starting (almost tore off my leg trying to
kockstart my Harley)...I've also heard engines "dieseling") What I am curious
about is HOW can an engine run backwards for any significant amount of time?
I am not by any stretch saying it can't happen, I really have no idea..I just
want to know what causes it.

Thanks for any insght,
Geoffrey Hausheer
Intel Corp.