FW: Diagnostic codes

From: Ned Vogler (NVOGLER@rghosp.chime.org)
Date: Wed Oct 08 1997 - 18:47:00 EDT

>Anybody know what the dashboard code 45 means? I have that and a 12 that
>never goes away on my 96 V8 and the dealer tells me nothing shows up on
>their diagnostic computer so just ignore it. Those codes weren't there
>before so they must mean something. I realize 12 is loss of battery but
it
>should go away after 20 starts or so shouldn't it?

I haven't been able to get rid of my code 12 since I've owned the
truck... it started right after I had my LoJack and alarm installed, and
it's been there ever since. I think the dealers can "flash" the
computer, but I've never asked them to do it.

Now, about the 45 code: (I can't believe they can't see it on their
diagnostic computer, I think they're blowing smoke!)

The OBD-II DTC table sez it can be any of the following:

Transmission 3/4 overdrive solenoid circuit
Governor mid pressure not in target range (15 - 20 PSI)
Governor low pressure switch fault (pressure above 3 PSI when stopped)
Transmission 3/4 shift malfunction (no RPM drop after shift)
Governor pressure sensor voltage too low
Governor pressure sensor voltage too high
Governor pressure solenoid circuit
Transmission 12 volt supply relay control circuit
Overdrive switch pressed more than 5 minutes (voltage low)

Sounds like a definite transmission problem, and more specifically a
problem with the overdrive circuit. Don't think it's related to your
cold start problem, although it could be.

>Presently having a problem with cold starting in the morning. Dealer
having
>trouble duplicating it in the shop after they get it started to run it
in
>there. New fuel pump is being put in next week under warranty. I don't
think
>they know if that is the problem or not.

Best of luck, let us know what you find out!

Ciao!

Ned Vogler
(nvogler@rghosp.chime.org)
'96 Dakota SLT V8 5-sp 4x4 Club Cab
Gibson 3" Catback Exhaust/MPI FIPK-clone/Magnecor KV85 wires
Brass Cap & Rotor/Autolite Platinums/Blaster 3 Coil
MSD 6AL Ignition & MPI Super Street TBI w/Power Bridge
Pioneer DEH-65DH/Pioneer TS-A5705/TS-626/SAS Bazooka A82-80
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/9636/