RE: Tires/Rotation

From: Rob Robinson (u4d6r6mh@coastalnet.com)
Date: Wed Oct 08 1997 - 20:20:50 EDT

>I've got the same tires on my 97 and I've been rotating every 6K. I've
>got about 14K on the truck now and the tires that were on the front on the
>last rotation are starting to look pretty worn. I'm going to be putting
>snows on over the winter. After I put these back on I'm hoping to at
>least make it until next winter, but at the rate they're wearing I don't
>know if it will happen.
>
>Brett
>
><<< Carl Thompson 10/ 8 6:00p >>>
>My 97 came with Goodyear Eagle LS tires and at 17000 miles I will be lucky
>to get 22000 miles out of them I been rotating every 7500 miles. Anyone
>have the Eagle tires and how are the wearing for you? (Most 97's I see have
>wrangler tires) Can anyone recommend a high mileage tire to be used for
>highway miles with no load but an occasional trip to Home Depot on the
>weekend.
>
>Carl Thompson
>carl@phoenixat.com
>http://www.bv.net/~carltom

We could get in a great discussion on tire types and brands, but really the
best thing to do is look at those little numbers on the side of the tire.
The higher the tread wear number, the better. Also get a tire with A's in
all the three ratings you can Treadwear, Temperature, Traction.

Supposingly the Cadillac of tires is the Michigan. The ones I have seen
have had very high numbers. However, they are expensive.

I went with something in the middle. I went with a Cavalier SRX raised
white letter (made by Bridgestone). It has a block type tread with higher
tread ratings than the Firestone Firehawk. Looks great and should last a
while. I have bought Bridgestone tires for years and have had nothing but
good comments about them.

Make sure to rotate your tires at least every 5,000 miles. These heavy
nosed trucks (more power) tend to wear front tires quickly on the edge and
the back right in the middle (imagine that!)

I also went with a 225/70/15 instead of the 215/75/15 and like the feel and
looks much better. From what I can tell the speedo wasn't affected that
bad.

Good luck in Tire Shopping!

Rob Robinson
96 Sport SB SC