'97 wheels on a '95

From: E. Frank Ball III (frankb@cougar.sr.hp.com)
Date: Wed Oct 08 1997 - 21:24:51 EDT

} > I recently had picked up a set of 97 dakota rims from the fall
} englishtown
} > auto swap meet. I also purchased a set of 255/60/15 radial ta tires
} > from work. The rims and tires look great, but what a bitch to install.
} > In case anyone wants to install the newer rims on a older dakota, get
} > ready for some hefty upper control arm work. A good afternoon was spent
} > grinding, bending, and filing the upper control arm, so that the rim with
} > its weights ( static balanced ) will clear the arm.
} >
} > If anybody wants the full specifics on the upper control
} > modifications just e-mail me.
}
} Huh? On my '95 they fit no problems, no clearance problems or
} anything. I have the weights on the outside of the rim, but only needed
} 1- 1" long weight on each tire. They've been up to 125 mph too, with no
} vibration (had to test it out the other day !)
}
} Sam '95 SLT Dakota

Sam, Is there clearance for wheel weights on the inside? The spin
balancers often indicate that weights should be put on the inside. I've
thought about making this change, and I was concerned about the
clearance issue. The '97s have a new upper control arm design with much
more room.

I would think that the '92 thru '96 would have the same upper control arm.

Frank Ball 1UR-M frankb@sr.hp.com (707) 794-4168 work
Hewlett Packard (707) 794-3038 fax (707) 538-3693 home
1212 Valley House Drive Kawi KDX200, Yamaha XT350 YZF600R Seca 750
Rohnert Park CA 94928-4999 '95 Dakota SLT Club Cab V8 5-Speed 2WD