Backfiring

From: Scott Williams (scottw@zoomnet.net)
Date: Fri Oct 10 1997 - 00:22:25 EDT

I'm having a problem with my Dakota (96 Sport CC 4x4 3.9L 5spd 3.55) and
looking for some help.

When its cold, it hesitates really bad and then backfires thru the throttle
body. (I'm talking a really loud boom.) After it backfires, it seems to
run ok. It also will do this under hard acceleration when climbing a steep
hill. I've had the truck to the dealer twice with no results. The first
time they updated the computer. The second time they said the base index
time was retarded 8 degrees and readjusted it. This seemed to help a
somewhat on the hesitation but it backfired twice today.

I would like to get this fixed before I blow a hole thru the hood or see my
Dak go up in flames. :-O

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Scott