Re: Re: Backfiring

From: T & J (jan@bewellnet.com)
Date: Sat Oct 11 1997 - 23:34:57 EDT

use the diagnostic machine to do a rundown on the computer and a thorough
checkout of all sensors. if those checkout OK then have them do a cylinder
leakdown(wet and dry) test to see if there's not a sticking valve. If OK
then there is the possibility of a bent push rod or faulty tappet(since
there is rattly sound) just a few ideas to go with anyway.

      starwolf@bewellnet.com
       '95 SLT(only thing missing is U) Xcab

----------
> From: Scott Williams <scottw@zoomnet.net>
> To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
> Subject: DML: Re: Backfiring
> Date: Friday, October 10, 1997 11:11 AM
>
> It is definitely backfiring through the throttle body. The inside of the
> air filter is scorched.
>
> I have also noted that when the engine is hot, I can hear a lifter
pecking.
> When I mentioned this to the dealer, he said it is inherent in the 3.9L
V6
> to have some lifter noise. (I don't buy that excuse.)
>
> Scott
>
> ----------
> > From: Keith R Wanderi <keith.wanderi@fsg.deluxe.com>
> > To: 'dakota-truck@buffnet.net'
> > Subject: DML: RE: Backfiring
> > Date: Friday, October 10, 1997 6:48 AM
> >
> > Backfiring can be caused by excess fuel/air mixture in the exhaust or
by
> > the plug firing with an open valve. Is it firing through the exhaust
or
> > throttle body? Someplace to start looking..
> >
> > Keith R Wanderi
> > keith.wanderi@fsg.deluxe.com
> > 1997 SLT CC 4x4 V6 Auto
> > K&N FIPK, Gibson Cat-Back