Re: Wed Nite Drags with Jon

From: kmiller (kmiller@cvn.net)
Date: Sat Oct 11 1997 - 07:23:17 EDT

Hey Jon:

The guy who runs that sight races at Beaver Springs Dragway. Never talked
to him but I have seen him race down at Mason-Dixon Dragway at a track
challenge. That guy has got his stuff togather. Very good on the tree and
very consistent and a tough competitor.

Later

Scott Miller

----------
> From: Jon Steiger <stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu>
> To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
> Subject: Re: DML: Wed Nite Drags with Jon
> Date: Saturday, October 11, 1997 2:44 AM
>
> At 09:52 PM 10/10/97 -0400, Dick Campagna wrote:
> >----------
> >> From: Jon Steiger <stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu>
> >> To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
> >> Subject: Re: DML: Wed Nite Drags with Jon
> >> Date: Friday, October 10, 1997 4:05 AM
> >>
> >> At 06:46 PM 10/9/97 -0400, WillTier@aol.com wrote:
> >
> >(snipped discussion about drag racing)
> >
> >Hey guys . . . Sports Compact Car magazine had a great article earlier
this
> >year on the fine points about drag racing. They discussed early and
late
> >staging and other details, including proper technique. Did you know
that
> >your posted speed is actually your average speed through the traps,
> >therefore your actual top speed is higher than the posted speed? One of
> >the best things you can do is to improve your reaction time. That means
> >practicing and being in good physical condition. The pro drivers use a
> >practice "christmas tree." If one of the DML members is good with
> >electrons, maybe they can make one? In the meantime, before you go to
the
> >drags, get plenty of sleep, don't drink (alcohol!), don't take drugs
> >(illegal and certain legal ones), and don't eat a heavy meal before
racing.
> > Especially don't eat meat, which is hard to digest. Maybe someone can
> >access the Sports Compact Car article and publicize the main points.
Don't
> >forget . . . it's not the one with the quickest ET and highest speed who
> >wins. It's the one who gets to the finish line first!
> >

> Hmmm, a friend of mine subscribes to that; maybe he'll have a copy.
> I found a cool web site dedicated to drag racing. Lots of great info
> there, and also practice tree that can run right off their page if you
have
> Internet Exploerer with ActiveX enabled. Pretty cool! :-) (Theres also
> commercial version that you can order.)
>
> The URL is: http://rconcepts.com/beard/
>
> Its called "The Staging Light"
>
> Definitely worth checking out. :-)
>
> -Jon-
>
> .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/
---.
> | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ,
RP-SEL |
> | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019)

> I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my
own.