Re: Distributor pickup question

From: T & J (jan@bewellnet.com)
Date: Sun Oct 12 1997 - 15:53:23 EDT

  with an older vehicle as this with over 100k it's probably that the
timing chain has stretched considerably,along with the nylon cam gear(steel
gear with nylon on teeth for quietness) has lost some of the nylon,which
will contribute to timing sloopiness. your mechanic set to specs, but the
pickup may not be set to proper air gap(if adjustable) or reset timing to a
less "btdc" like around 8 or 6 degrees btdc
     if that doesn't work try going the opposite way with the distributor,
it may of jumped some timing teeth.