Re: 5 speed transmission

From: Thomas McCabe (mccabet@megsinet.net)
Date: Mon Oct 13 1997 - 08:41:16 EDT

Andre Mauboussin wrote:

> ziggy70@ix.netcom.com wrote:
>
> > I own a '93 Dakota Sport CC with 3.9 V6 and 5 speed.Soon after the
> > warranty period ran out(naturally)I experienced a grinding when I put
> > the transmission into reverse and it was "cold"(not driven in a
> > while).
> > I quickly learned that if I shifted into 1st gear and then shifted
> > back
> > into reverse no grinding would occur.I have had no more problems
> > since.
> > Anyone else experienced this problem?
> >

> This is common with many standard transmissions. Do what you are doing
> to get the sychronizers a spinnin' to avoid grinding. Hasn't happened on
> my 95 yet, but I know the 5speeds were modified in 95.

Putting a manual into any forward gear before going to reverse causes
the
transmission to stop spinning. Causes for the grinding going into
reverse
is caused by a dragging clutch, vehicle still moving, and excessive
engine
rpm in neutral before going to reverse. The transmission should stop
spinning
in less than 10 sec at idle in neutral, after the clutch is disengaged.
If
it still grinds after the 10 sec, I would check out the clutch. A newer
trans
will have tighter clearances and will stop quicker. I would not worry
about
it.

L8r

Tom McCabe