Re: Auto vs 5-spd yet another reply

From: Klaus Wilkens (klaus@buffnet.net)
Date: Mon Oct 13 1997 - 20:52:45 EDT

WillTier@aol.com wrote:

> << To amplify on Dick's comments - Automatics do not perform as
> reliably
> > under extreme use conditions as manuals because of the heat
> generated
> > internally.
>
> Well all you got to do to fix this problem is order the heavy duty
> groupo
> and it includes a trans fluid cooler, so that really isn't a problem,
>
> besides I've seen tractor trailers with autos (And it don't get
> anymore
> extreme than that) and the drivers have said they've been pretty
> reliable,
> so i don't agree with that argument. >>
>
> You also see a lot of buses, fire trucks and other heavy duty
> application
> vehicles with autos. Plus most of the hot highly modified drag
> vehicles with
> autos and they seem to hold up fine when set up properly for this type
> of
> service. It seems to me that most of the tranny problems of DML
> members
> including past members were with 5 speeds.

In terms of GVW buses are not extreme duty and Fire trucks are designed
for ease of driving where the objective is to fight the fire. As far as
Drag cars go the run 1/4 or 1/8 mile at a time and automatics make it
easier to be consistent....to a degree. I never ever saw a Top Fueler
with an automatic or a Fuel Funny car for that matter. (BTW I have an
automatic in my Omni drag car).

> I'd still like to see one of you 5 speed guys eat your french toast
> sticks
> including dunking them while driving in city traffic. I'll bet a few
> of you
> have tried it though cause I've seen a few 5 speed vehicles with
> sticky
> steering wheels and shift knobs.

I have, my 5.2 5spd runs real nice in 3rd in stop and go traffic !

KW