Re: Auto vs 5-spd; for those interested only - long

From: WillTier@aol.com
Date: Mon Oct 13 1997 - 22:16:18 EDT

<< You know, sometimes I don't even know why I bother... but here goes. >>

You love every darn opprotunity you get trying to bash us old guys with the
autos and you know it... Don't give me that "I don't know why I bother stuff"
young punk kids anyway.. I was never one fer shurrr

<<So it really doesn't matter where you drive, the fact remains that,
in general, an auto has more driveline loss.>>

Its a good thing or them darn 5 speeds would get beaten worse than now..

<<At the track, the sticks are pushing 100 in the quarter (stock) while
the autos are around 94 or so. Furthermore, the sticks have a closer
gear-to-gear ratio which lets the engine stay in it's powerband. I
will say that the autos are running about the same ET as the manuals,
though, despite the fact that they're so much slower.>>

What track you goin to ? First what the hell is a "F" body ? and second most
anything I've seen running near my ET's with or without juice is lower MPH ??
Yepper and I chose the juice root purel on a economy move, I wanted the most
for the buck and got it. $599 for the kit complete and 1.6 seconds and 11 mph
gain, can you do better than that, if you can I would certainly be interested
in your methods. I do not hot rod on the streets and this little deal works
just fine for me myself and I. You guys with all the loot can spend it any
way you want to try to catch up but you won't do it cheaper...

<<I'll grant you this much, Mr. Tier, the autos are usually more
CONSISTENT, but they're certainly not faster. Ask fellow Dakota owners
Alan and Andre. I've personally driven both the auto and the manual
Dak, and while *I* would probably do better in the auto (how the HELL
do you shift those damn four foot long poles???!!!) the manual sure
feels alot faster to me....>>

Usually more consistent, not always true when I drive em but faster than any
5 speed I come accross. What the hell you talking about those damn 4 foot
poles ? We ain't skiing them, we're drivin em, haint got no poles. And feels
a lot faster doesn't mean a thing when ya lose..

<<And the day you look at an f-body in the rearview mirror will be the
day you raced the punk with the V6 version. Geez, only low 13's at
a piddly 103 in the quarter? With JUICE? Gimme a break. I run 104 in
the quarter completely NA, and I haven't even BEGUN to do mods yet.
Mods? I'll show you mods. No happy gas for me either. All throttle
and no bottle is my motto.>>

Hey you got money to burn, spend it. I'm just to damn cheap and want the
cheap and easy way out (went through the depression) and just plain don't
have the time to mod this and mod that. And I'm pretty proud of my 13.1 @104
in a rickidy old club cab truck. And a little laughing gas keeps the truck
happy.

<<Let's compare apples with apples here, shall we? Sure you make a Dak
go fast, but you can make an f-body go faster. Fact, pure and simple.
Get off the high horse, old timer, and learn a little something from
us younger ones. We're not all blithering idiots, you know.>>

Back to above what the hell is a F body and if it isn't a truck then you
compare apples to apples. I don't ride horses and I've been trying to learn
something from you youngins but most of you are blithering idiots or it
appears that way.

<<I prefer to hang 10 myself; gives me good clutch feel for those
hole shots against those old guys with autos and slow-pivoting ankles>>

Whew I wondered what the fowl odor was.. I don't pivot the ankles just slide
the fooot off the brake on the 3rd yellow and hang on watch the mirror for
the 5 speeder and kick butt again..

Man your long winded

Bill