Re: Auto vs 5-spd yet another reply

From: Andre Mauboussin (andrem@cyberramp.net)
Date: Tue Oct 14 1997 - 00:11:40 EDT

WillTier@aol.com wrote:

> << Gee, let's see...when the last yellow
> comes on, I just stomp on the gas and hold it down. That requires
> lots
> of skill...NOT! BTW, haven't run into a similarly equipped auto
> Dakota(or any for that matter) that can beat mine yet and I 60ft
> @2.11
> with STREET radials. Later slushboxheads ;-) >>
>
> Ho ho ho we slushboxheads have a lot of things to do other than what
> you
> think, like watching the rear view mirror for where the 5 speeds went
> and
> listening for which gear he is going to grind or miss all together and
> then
> in the shut down lane I wait up for him to sniff the burning clutch
> smell
> (what a high off that stuff) and I usually wait and let him or her
> lead back
> up the return road, and you think it is easy ole mighty gear grinder.
> Bring
> it on up here I'm ready for your 5 speed. I still have heard more
> problems
> with 5 speeds than autos on this list, I know there was a big
> discussion on 5
> speed problems some time back. You guys favorite character must be
> Tony the
> Tiger Grrrrrrriiiiinnnnnndddddddd.......
>
> Bill

Two years of racing and I haven't missed a gear yet in eliminations.
Have a buddy with an auto whose transmission has shifted earlier and
later than it should have, costing him races. I won the whole No
Electronics category once at the Motorplex last year and I've got two
runner ups and one semi finals at the Musclecar Club challenge series
this year(no missed gears, just too tentative at the tree or truck
wouldn't run the numbers) so far. Let the same buddy drive the truck
last week and he missed 3rd and went straight into 5th. Ya gotta be
quick and good to drive the standard. Auto drivers too lazy to learn how
to drive. Like my best freind the trucker says, that's the difference
between a driver and a steering wheel holder.

Aurevoir

Andre Mauboussin
95 14.70@93.5mph No baby bottles