auto vs. stick

From: PEPIN, JASON (PEPINJ@CNTCPI1.HCC.COM)
Date: Tue Oct 14 1997 - 17:14:00 EDT

Greetings

I caught the end of a debate re: auto vs. standard transmission and I was
reminded of my situation. I previously owned a '95 Dakota 4x4 with a V-6
and found it to have plenty of pep for me. I then traded up to a '96 Club
Cab 4x4 also with a V-6 but an automatic transmission instead. This truck
seems to feel very sluggish at times, especially on the highway once the
torque converter goes into lock-up mode. I know the easy solution is to
trade up to a V-8 but economically, that's not an option right now. I
wonder if there's an easy way to disable the lock-up function of the tranny.
 I wouldn't mind sacrificing a few mpg's to get a few more hp's.

Jason Pepin (pepinj@cntcpi1.hcc.com)