Re: Auto vs stick vs driver

From: WillTier@aol.com
Date: Tue Oct 14 1997 - 16:57:50 EDT

<< All these statements being bandied about in regards to the
      "reliabilty" of a type of transmission are irrelevant. I have blown
      up far more manual transmissions than autos. I have rebuilt both
      types more times than I care to recall. The driver of the vehicle is
      the biggest factor in the life of a transmission. Chrysler's
      automatics seem to live under my foot. Their stick's don't. As to
      brand x's none of their trans survive my foot. Someone said something
      about how a stick could survive running two quarts low, better than an
      auto could. I doubt it. A stick's lube capacity is close to two
      quarts, four pints. An auto has closer to 14 quarts. So the stick is
      dry, or virtually so, and the auto isn't. In any event neither case
      is a fault of the trans but rather the loose nut behind the wheel. In
      regards to towing don't exceed the manufacturers limits. Yes there is
      a fudge factor or safety margin but do you know what it is? In days
      past everything, at least at CC, was built with a large "safety
      margin" no longer, so follow the recommendations.

      Thunderstruck... >>

Yepper very nicely put, now lets see whose turn is it now. Oh well someone
will add a bit of wisdom..

Bill