Re: Auto vs 5-spd

From: Andre Mauboussin (andrem@cyberramp.net)
Date: Wed Oct 15 1997 - 00:27:29 EDT

WillTier@aol.com wrote:

> You got me there ole buddy, I been runnin for as little over a year
> but got 7
> trophies sittin here, one first (truck Class) 3 seconds and 3
> semi-finals.
> Being old and lazy and slow I red lighted on two of the 2nd place runs
> one of
> those at the Frigid Nationals last year where there was about 40+ cars
> in my
> class and the guy I ran for the win broke out but the red light got me
> second
> instead of first. I just go for fun if I do good thats all the better.
>
> Sometimes you really don't have a choice of what tranny you can get as
> was
> the case with my 93 Dakota 5 speed was not available but I probably
> would not
> have gotten it anyway because when I bought the truck I was buying it
> to haul
> my 35' travel trailer and I had already been through the Stick shift
> ordeal
> of trailer hauling and Campgrond parking and found the Auto to be far
> superior for my needs but had I bought it for drag racing in mind it
> definitely would be the auto vs 5 speed. 4 Speed I might have gone for
> but
> the highly potential 3rd gear miss on the five speed would keep me
> from them,
> especially with juice as a missed shift with the juice on could be
> detrimental to its health.
>
> Whatever turns you on but I'll keep my auto..
>
> Bill

Well, you must be doing something right. One thing I'm proud of is no
one else with a stick has won as many races around here and you should
have seen the look of surprise on some of my defeated opponents when
they found out I had a stick. It is a challenge and no doubt frustrating
at times(rolling through the lights while waiting for the tree etc.),
but I find it very satisfying when I do win. I'm shocked that you aren't
rushing down to the dealer to trade yours in for a 5speed ;-). Have fun
and don't forget to fill those bottles!

Andre