Re: 14" Mr. Gasket "Daytona" air cleaner?

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Wed Oct 15 1997 - 09:28:53 EDT

Rob Robinson wrote:

> Rader:

> > I've got #9793, the "Custom 14" Air Cleaner."

> my "Daytona" had the recessed base and had to make a spacer to raise it up
> enough. Be very careful which model you get.

  Just wanted to mention that I've already fit the bottom plate of
my Mr. Gasket Daytona #9793 on my '95 318, and didn't have any
clearance problems. I'm more worried about the top, since I don't
have a 3" element to play with.

  Needed no spacer with the #9793, for those keeping score.

  Oh, a slight warning: be really careful if you start removing metal
to increase the size of the PCV knockout to 1" diameter, to fit the
stock grommet. At least with a rotary file. Let's just say that the
metal is a lot softer than I thought. ;)

  Luckily, the grommet covers up almost all of my new oval-shaped PCV
hole, and I made sure it seals with a nice generous dab of sensor-safe
blue RTV silicone.

  Ron "Talk About Cheesy" Rader